A Brief Profile
Prof.N.Ananthachar, the founder of A.P.S. Institutions was born on 5th September 1910 at Mysore, the Cultural capital of Karnataka, into a family of learned and orthodox parents who cherished and followed towering ideals in life. Prof.N.Ananthachar was, by heredity and temperament, a true scion of the family which believed that service in the realm of education was the true worship of God. He had his primary education from Lakshmipuram Middle School and D.Banumaiah’s High School, Mysore and later joined the famous Maharaja’s College for B.A., Degree Course and completed the Degree in 1928. He came out with the Master’s Degree in Arts in 1930 from Mysore University.
In 1933, Prof. Ananthachar moved to Bangalore looking for a job. But his attempt to secure a permanent one was in vain. However, being a man possessed with the ability, he started a small vegetable business. His education did, in no way hamper his enthusiasm in business as he believed in the value of dignity of labour and self-help. But, the persisting desire to dedicate his life to the cause of education prompted him to wind up the business very soon. He entered the field of education where he really belonged to and started A.P.S. Primary School on 15th August, 1935 with only three students and with the moral and financial support of Late. Sri.N.S.Subba Rao and Late Sri.Navarathna Rama Rao. Though the Institution was started in the middle of the academic session, before the end of the year, the school had enrolled more than 60 students. A.P.S. Middle School was established in June 1936. Thereafter, it was growth all the way for Achara Pathasala Institution. The A.P.S.Boys High School and APS Girls High School were started in 1942 and 1946, respectively. The year 1956 saw a great laud mark in the history of Acharya Pathasala Institution when Prof.V.L.D’Souza, the Vice Chancellor of Mysore University visited the Institution at the request of Prof.N.Ananthachar and helped in getting affiliation for the starting of APS Arts and Commerce College. The opening of the College came as a boon and relief particularly to the girls since there was no girl’s college in the locality. The college was indeed a dream come true for local boys with ordinary merit as they could not get admission in the other colleges. The year 1958 saw the opening of APS Polytechnic, which was a feather in the cap of the already growing institution. Science section was added to the APS College of Arts and Commerce in 1959. A rural High School at Somanahalli, Bangalore South Taluk, was started in 1960-61, catering to the educational need of the students of Somanahalli and surrounding villages.
Late Prof. N.Ananthachar toiled very hard in the service of the people for more than three decades and it was a success story of adventure and great daring. Loved by all for his innate courtesy and broad human spirit, he had the gift of making friends and the nobility of appreciating whatever was noble in others. As the Founder Principal of APS College, his relationship with his staff was very cordial and he knew personally every one of them from both the teaching and the non-teaching sections.
A great educationist, a man of vision and a true humanist, late Prof. N.Ananthachar was, above all, a realist in life. He attained heavenly abode on 21st April 1976, after contributing his mightiest to the cause of education.